Saturday 3 September 2011

First QSO's with the old Drake C-Line

I got my old MFJ Keyer, Grandmaster MFJ-484 back yesterday. So now I can key my Drake C-Line. For all new hams out there the old Drake C-Line use grid block keying and the voltage is negative and require a special circuit or a relay to work. MFJ-484 was manufactured in those days when grid-block keying was more or less standard.


So how did I do during an hour of lsn? Well, I managed to work 4K6FO, RA9UO, CT9/RW9JZ, 5N6/YL2SW and finally FG8AR. I was running about 150 W out and the band was 20 m. Some of the worked stations had a pretty good pile. So the old rig is still up and running.
 I can also tell you all out there, that the reason for this old buty to be capable of near 200 W out, according to my LP-100A Power Meter, is that the Power transformer has been replaced. The black baked 60 Hz US type has been replaced with a large toroid type made for 50 Hz mains. So you have to make the tuning process very short to spare the final tubes.

QRP???!!! No way!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment